Want to push your boundaries this year? Why not go full Frankenstein? Tap into that inner mad scientist and bring your creativity to life! We’ve come up with two SPOOKTACULAR recipe ideas to help you on your way. Feel free to try these and tag us in a creation of your own!
1. Monster Cookie Fingers
Kick things off with Wilton’s eerie Monster Finger Cookie Pan! This non-stick bakeware has 8 cavities, so you can experiment with different monster fingers for only $7.49. The very same Wilton also has a really awesome 3-tier collapsible cooling rack for $20.79. It allows your cookies to remain crisp while they cool off and it’s a space saver in every sense of the word!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Makes: 30 cookies
1 cup unsalted butter softened
1 cup powdered sugar confectionery
1 teaspoon Almond extract
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt or 1/2 teaspoon salt, if using salted butter
3/4 cup whole blanched almonds
green food coloring
1 tube red decorator gel or Strawberry/Raspberry jam.
1. In a bowl, beat together butter, sugar, egg, almond and vanilla extract; beat in flour, baking powder and salt. Add a few drops of green food coloring until it reaches your desired green.
2. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Press heaping tablespoons of dough into Monster Finger Cookie Pan in order to shape each cookie. Press almond firmly into the end for the nail.
4. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until pale golden. Let cool for 3 minutes. Then place on 3-tier collapsible cooling rack by Wilton for quick cooling.
5. Lift up almond; squeeze red decorator gel onto nail bed and press almond back into place, so gel oozes out from underneath. Let cool. Makes about 30 medium to large cigar size cookies.
2. Broken Glass Cupcakes
If you want to make the bloodiest cupcakes for Halloween, you’re going to need Kootek by your side. This decorating supply kit has 178 pieces for only $28.99. It doesn’t get any cooler than this! Enjoy this bloody cupcake if you dare!
Total Prep Time: 2 days
Makes: 22 cupcakes
Broken Glass Ingredients
2 Cups of water
1 Cup of light corn syrup
3 1/2 Cups sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 cookie sheet
Fake Blood Ingredients
1/2 Cup of light corn syrup
1 tbsp corn starch
1/4 Cup of water
1 tbsp red food coloring
Instructions for Broken Glass
1. Using a large sauce pan, combine the water, corn syrup, sugar, and cream of tartar.
2. Bring the mixture to a boil.
3. Whisk consistently until mixture is boiling keep at it for about 3 minutes. If you don’t own one, we recommend you invest in a candy thermometer. Boil sugar syrup until the temp reaches 300 degree.
4. Once the temp reaches 300 degrees, spray a cookie sheet with pam spray and pour the sugar onto the cookie sheet.
5. Allow to cool overnight
1. You can either use red decorator gel or you can make your own by mixing together the corn syrup, cornstarch, and water until combined in a medium bowl.
2. Add in the drops of red food coloring and mix until combined.
1 box of Vanilla cake mix
3 eggs room temp
1/2 Cup of softened unsalted sweet cream butter
1 Cup of 2% milk
1 TBSP pure vanilla extract
2-3 tbsp red food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Line cupcake pan with the white cupcake liners.
3. In a medium bowl, add the cake mix, butter, milk, and vanilla extract and stir until combined.
4. Mix in the red food coloring.
5. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full.
6. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
7. Pull out the cupcakes and allow to cool before frosting.
1 Cup of unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
2 1/2 Cups powder sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3-5 TBSP heavy whipping cream
1 piping bag with a star tip.
1. Using a hand or stand mixer, combine all ingredients and mix on medium speed.
2. Mix until you see stiffed peaks in your frosting.
3. Scoop frosting into a piping bag and frost the cooled cupcakes.
1. Using a hammer, break the glass into different sizes of shards.
2. Place randomly into the cupcake frosting.
3. Pour the red coloring or red decorator gel around the shards on the cupcakes to make the bloody broken cupcake look more real.
The free credit promo has ended. Come back next year! ;-)